With less than a month to go before the election, the NSSF’s #GUNVOTE push is picking up steam. Tens of millions of voters, including more than five million first-time gun buyers will head to the polls November 3 and cast votes that could decide the fate of gun rights in this country for the next generation or more.
Recognizing the importance of the outcome of the vote, more familiar industry names have written big checks in recent weeks to help the industry’s trade association get out the message to gun owners. They include:
Magpul – $100,000
Federal/CCI/Speer – $100,000
Bushnell – $25,000
Benelli – $100,000
Davidson’s – $50,000
Browning/FN – $50,000
Control of both the Senate and the White House are at stake and the ostensible top of the Democrat ticket, Joe Biden, says if he’s elected, he wants to:
- Ban the manufacture and sale of “assault weapons” and “high capacity” magazines
- Hold a national “buyback” for “assault weapons” and “high capacity” magazines
- Regulate “assault weapons” that aren’t turned in to the government like machine guns under the National Firearms Act
- Limit the purchase of firearms to one per month
- Enact a universal background check law
- Ban the sale of guns, ammunition, and parts via the internet
- Ban gun sales to anyone convicted of a misdemeanor “hate crime”
- Extend the limit for FBI background check decisions from three days to ten days (a de facto national waiting period)
- Incent all states to enact red flag confiscation laws
- Incent all states to create gun licensing requirements like the Illinois Firearms Owner ID card system
- Repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act
If Biden wins and Democrats take control of the Senate, he’ll get the chance to sign many of the above measures into law.
As the NSSF describes their #GUNVOTE effort:
#GUNVOTE is a campaign by the NSSF to encourage America’s gun owners, target shooters and hunters to register to vote, to become educated on where the candidates stand on the Second Amendment and, on election day, not to risk their rights and #GUNVOTE. The campaign’s website provides links to help voters register and find their polling place. NSSF strongly encourages all industry members to download the #GUNVOTE button to use on their websites and social media.