In the brick ‘n mortar retail landscape for firearms and sporting goods, there are only so many options for hunters and shooters to choose from in buying their gear. If you want that in-person touch when purchasing your gear – aside from Mom ‘n Pop shops – you are likely looking at Cabela’s, Bass Pro, or Sportsman’s Warehouse. Now those 3 giant retailers are a part of the same family. Sportsman’s Warehouse has been bought by the Great American Outdoors Group – parent company to Cabela’s and Bass Pro – to create a sporting goods retailing superpower. The press release further detailing that transaction can be read below:
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. and WEST JORDAN, Utah – In an effort to better serve its loyal customers, Sportsman’s Warehouse has entered into a definitive agreement to join the Great American Outdoors Group, parent company of Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s, White River Marine Group and a collection of nature-based resorts. The Great American Outdoors Group will remain a private company with a long-term view to do what is best for its customers, team members and conservation initiatives. As part of the agreement, Sportsman’s Warehouse will be acquired for $18.00 per share in cash.
The driving force behind the partnership is the two companies’ similar histories and highly complementary business philosophies and geographic footprints. Both entities share a passion with their customers for fishing, camping, hunting, boating and other outdoor activities. Likewise, both are highly acclaimed retailers with well-deserved reputations for a broad offering of outstanding brand name and proprietary products, superior customer service, deeply knowledgeable team members and an unwavering passion for conservation. Uniting together represents an unprecedented “win-win” opportunity for outdoor enthusiasts.
With the Great American Outdoors Group now holding in their hands Cabela’s, Bass Pro, and Sportsman’s Warehouse it is something reminiscent of Thanos collecting all of the Infinity Stones. If they buy Brownells and Midway, they will establish ultimate, planetary, firearm-retailing power (of course, we are only joking). Some of the self-reported benefits of this deal are listed below as outlined by Sportsman’s Warehouse:
- Widely expanded product offerings
- Access to the world’s largest selection of premium fishing tackle
- The largest selection of premium hunting gear
- Sportsman’s Warehouse will be able to offer customers the world’s leading boat brands, side-by-sides and ATVs at money-saving prices
- Low prices – guaranteed
- Sportsman’s Warehouse customers will enjoy The Great American Outdoors Group “Low Price Guarantee”
- Greater convenience and expanded online services and selection
- Receiving the best products faster
- Maintaining a strong commitment to a regional and seasonal focus
- Uniting together to better serve customers and the outdoors
The mission of the Great American Outdoors Group is to inspire everyone to enjoy, love, and conserve the outdoors. That is a wonderful mission statement on paper, but for anyone who might be doubting their ability to do so, the Great American Outdoors Group has more clout within the industry and outdoors than you might imagine. Simply check out some fast stats of the brands within their portfolio below:
- Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s – Merged in 2017; 169 Store Locations
- White River Marine Group – #1 Selling Fishing Boat (Tracker Boats) in America for 42 years
- Nature Resorts – 2.4 Million Guests Annually through Multiple Resort Locations
- Sportsman’s Warehouse – 112 Store Locations
Regardless of the potential of this newly mint partnership, what do you think will manifest from it? Better selection and pricing as advertised by Sportsman’s Warehouse? What have been your experiences in a Cabela’s, Bass Pro, and/or Sportsman’s Warehouse? As always, let us know all of your thoughts in the Comments below! We always appreciate your feedback.