As you can see in some of these images, the VariArc mount — an innovative helmet mount light from Thyrm — is proving itself in the wild in a wide range of jobs.
The VariArc is a helmet light mount with the capability for 360 rotation. The VariArc mount, first seen back in late 2019, has become increasingly ubiquitous in several career fields, and has increasingly shown up in candid social media posts.
We’re told it has seen use in, survived, and proven itself during field use by a range of different first responder professions over the last year or so, including use during multiple law enforcement responses to 2020’s civil unrest.
Military personnel have taken a liking to it, too.
The VariArc is intended to provide a variety of task light options. Most obviously it can be indexed forward for direct illumination, but its mechanism and teeth also allow it to be unlocked and rotated through eight additional index positions for admin use.
Turn it downward for a bounce light effect, tilt it upward for canopy lighting, splash light off the ceiling…wherever you need it, though not directly behind you. For that, you’ll need to turn around.
Thyrm, which is a part of the HMW Tactical Alliance, says of the VariArc mount,
Conceived by Josh Jackson (SWAT-LEO) at LMS Defense, with input from other SWAT-team leaders and active-duty special operations soldiers, the VariArc helmet mount provides a full-featured mounting solution. The locking teeth are biased to the forward position, keeping your light aligned for the most critical uses, but with a firm twist, the VariArc mount unlocks and rotates through 8 additional lower-force index points for administrative tasks and diffused lighting options. Its small footprint and low-profile keep things tidy and the Picatinny Rail allows for maximum compatibility with visible and IR lights. The VariArc is built to remain fully functional through extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, sand, water, drops on concrete, and rough handling.
Specs and Details
The Thyrm VariArc is compatible with standard 1913 Picatinny Rail lights such as:
- Streamlight TLR-1, TLR-VIR, TLR-7, TLR-8, and similar lights
- Surefire Scout, X300, XH35, Vampire, XC1/2, and similar lights
- INFORCE APL, APLc
- Arisaka Side Scout Mount (Picatinny)
- Now available for Ops-Core and Team Wendy helmets
- Positively locks in the forward index position
- Picatinny accessory rail with 3 slots and 4 ridges
- Retention holes on both ends for dummy wiring critical gear
- Durable, reinforced polymer construction with steel hardware
- Compatible with dovetail-style helmet rails
- Available in black and flat dark earth (FDE) colors
- Fits both tactical helmet and bump helmet “lids”
The VariArc is available via the Thyrm website and at a number of online retailers (including Goon Gear and SKD Tactical).